Lancer is available as the value-minded DE, the well-equipped ES and the sport-tuned GTS.
The 2008 Lancer is based on a new performance-engineered global platform that also forms the foundation of the new Mitsubishi Outlander SUV. The new Lancer has a longer wheelbase and wider track, but slightly shorter overall length than the previous model.
All Lancer models are powered by a new 2.0-liter 152 hp aluminum DOHC MIVEC 4-cylinder engine (143 hp PZEV in Calif.) teamed to a 5-speed manual transmission. The new Lancer offers an optional continuously variable transmission (CVT), that, in the GTS model, exclusively features a 6-step Sportronic(R) mode using magnesium steering wheel paddle shifters.
The Lancer ES projects a refined appearance with 5-spoke 16-in. alloy wheels, color-keyed door handles and mirrors and a chrome grille surround. The GTS has more aggressive styling, with 10-spoke 18-in. alloy wheels, front and side air dams, fog lights, a rear spoiler and a chrome tailpipe tip. The GTS features sport-tuned suspension, 215/45R18 tires and larger 4-wheel disc brakes.
The Lancer's interior is characterized by clean and crisp surfaces and high-quality materials. Each Lancer model is distinguished by its own distinct seating materials and interior trim.
Standard safety features for all Lancer models include an advanced dual front air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with occupant sensors, standard front seat-mounted side-impact air bags and side curtain air bags, a driver's knee air bag, plus a tire pressure monitor system. The ES and GTS models add a standard anti-lock braking system (ABS) with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), which is available for the DE.
All Lancer models for 2008 come pre-wired for SIRIUS(R) Satellite Radio. The optional Sun and Sound Package available for the ES and GTS includes a 650-Watt (max.), Rockford-Fosgate(R) Premium Audio system plus a power glass sunroof and SIRIUS Satellite Radio with 6- month pre-paid subscription.
The GTS features a standard Bluetooth(R) wireless technology cell phone interface system with voice recognition for hands-free calling (available for the ES). The ES and GTS offer an optional navigation system that includes a 30-gigabyte hard drive navigation system with digital music server and Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System. Both models also offer the FAST Key (Freehand Advanced Security Transmitter) entry system. FAST Key allows the driver to unlock the vehicle simply by having the remote in a pocket or purse and grasping the handle on either of the front doors.
Wheelbase: 103.7 in.
Length: 180.0 in.
Height: 58.7 in.
Width: 69.4 in.
Curb weight range: 2,922 lbs. (DE w/ 5-speed) to 3,109 lbs. (GTS w/ CVT)
Major Standard Features (DE)
* 140-watt AM/FM/CD audio system with digital signal processing, MP3 playback capability and four speakers
* 16-inch steel wheels with full cover
* Adjustable rear head restraints (x3)
* Anti-theft engine immobilizer
* Auto-off halogen headlamps with DRLs
* Dual-stage front air bag SRS with front passenger occupant sensors, curtain side air bags, driver's knee air bag, and front seat mounted side-impact air bags
* Power windows and folding side view mirrors
* RISE chassis construction
* Side marker lamps
* Tilt-adjustable steering column
* Trunk lid inner trim
ES model adds:
* 16-inch alloy wheels
* 60:40 split folding rear seat with folding armrest and cupholders
* Air conditioning with micron cabin air filtration
* Anti-lock brakes (ABS) with electronic brake distribution (EBD)
* Anti-theft security alarm system
* Center floor console box with armrest
* Chrome grille, color-keyed outer door handles and side view mirrors
* Floor mats
* Front map lamps
* Height-adjustable driver's seat
* Power locks with remote keyless entry system
* Rear seat heater floor ducts
* Steering wheel Bluetooth cell phone ready pre-wire switch
* Steering wheel illuminated cruise and audio control switches
GTS models add over ES:
* 18-inch alloy wheels
* 6-speaker audio system
* Automatic climate control system
* Chrome exhaust finisher
* Chrome-plated inner door levers
* Fog lights
* Front and side air dams
* Hands-free Bluetooth cellular phone interface system with voice recognition
* Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
* Rear spoiler
* Sport bucket seats (front)
* Sportronic magnesium steering wheel shifter paddles (with optional continuously variable transmission)
* Sport-tuned suspension including front strut tower brace
* A/C & Power Package (DE): air conditioning, anti-lock brake system (ABS) with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), power door locks and driver's window auto-up function.
* Technology and Appearance Package (ES): FAST Key entry system, Bluetooth(R) wireless technology cell phone interface system with voice recognition for hands-free calling; upgraded 6-speaker audio system, MP3/auxiliary audio inputs, SIRIUS Satellite Radio with 6-month pre-paid service subscription, trunk lip spoiler, chrome exhaust tip and chrome beltline accents.
* Sun & Sound Package (ES and GTS): 650-Watt (max.) Rockford-Fosgate Premium Audio system with PUNCH control; 6CD/MP3 in-dash changer; auxiliary stereo input jack; power glass sunroof with sunshade and SIRIUS Satellite Radio with 6-month pre-paid service subscription.
* Navigation & Technology Package (GTS): FAST Key entry system; Hard Disk Drive (30GB) satellite GPS navigation system with 7-inch touch panel, digital music server and single-disc player and Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System.